Happy Valentines Day!! What are you up to? I am in Mexico right now with my church and loving the palm trees! Follow us on Insta to see pics <3 It is also BasicBloggerss’ 2 year BLOGiversary! We are 2 years old now and we can’t thank you all enough 🙂
To make 4 dozen bars, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups margarine (softened to room temperature)
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Cream together the margarine & 2 cups sugar.
- Beat in 4 eggs and 2 tbsp vanilla
- In a medium bowl combine 5 cups of flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder and mix with whisk.
- Add half of the flour mix to wet ingredients and blend until combined, then repeat with second half.
- (Optional) Mix in 1/2 cup of sprinkles to have a confetti look.
- Press into a 17×12 rimmed baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes until just brown (they may look a little under cooked, but if a toothpick comes out clean, they are done). Cool completely before frosting.
To make the icing you will need:
- 4 cups powdered/icing sugar
- 1 cup margarine (softened)
- 3 tsp of vanilla
- 1-2 Tablespoons of milk
- In mixing bowl, add 4 cups of icing sugar and mix it on low to break up any lumps for 30 seconds.
- Add softened margarine, 3 tsp vanilla and 1 Tbsp of milk (reserve the other).
- Start the mixer on low. Put a clean dishtowel around the mixer to keep the icing sugar from spraying all over. Keep on low until it is all blended in and then turn it up to medium high.
- Once everything is fully mixed (about a minute), check the taste and consistency. It may need a bit more milk or a little more vanilla.
- If you’re going to colour the icing: divide into bowls and add food colouring.
- Spread evenly to the cooled bars.
- Before cutting them, put them in the freezer for 10 minutes and you will get nice crisp edges on the bars.
If you make these delicious cookie bars make sure to send us a picture! What are you doing to celebrate Valentine’s Day??